Monday, December 20, 2010

A friend in need...

I thought this might be fun to share...

Alex Iglesias (a.k.a. Flyingdebris) is a good friend of mine and DIE HARD MECHSPERT. (And I do not say that lightly). All this guy does is eat, breath and shit mechs. I am consistently amazed at his solid understanding of design, form and function and often curse myself for not being as ingenious. You can view his online gallery here: http://flyingdebris.deviantart.com/gallery/

Anyway, occasionally we will send each other a mech sketch for comments/ crits and approval. He is currently working on this badass mech:




I love every part about it... except for its color scheme. I told him it was too much brown, and wanting to see what it would look like in black, spent a few minutes doing a quick paintover. I suggested to him some more material breakup, texture changes and an alternate color scheme. (He doesn't have to stick to this, mind you, its just a suggestion of what could be) Here's what I pitched to him:



I think the result is a step in the right direction, but I can't wait to see what/ if any changes he makes to the final.

Going a bit further and having some fun with it, I shamelessly added my H.ARM suit in there and for cheap thrills, unified their color schemes to suggest they worked as a unit. Its a hack job admittedly, but my curiosity was satisfied. And voila... I now have my new desktop image.

5 comments:

  1. Very cool stuff, especially big one in dark grey color scheme. Very unigue design. Just one concern about the gun (not gatling one), ammo mag could be bigger :) In overall I BELIEVE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found this blog while searching for exo suit reference on google images. So glad I did- awesome work!!! I friggin love mechs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you guys like the work.

    Rymlyanin- I'll pass the message along to Flying debris (since its his mech).

    Tom- I didn't know I was on google. What did u type in? If u like robots and mechs, and haven't already, check out http://nuthinbutmech.blogspot.com/

    or http://conceptrobots.blogspot.com/

    Brace yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...one concern about paint. I think stealth planes color scheme would be great, especialy for lines and inscriptions. Should be suitable for mechs.
    http://www.af.mil/shared/media/photodb/photos/060802-F-4467P-001.JPG

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great admirer of both you and FlyingDebris, congratulations.

    What did he say about this? I think it's awesome :D

    ReplyDelete